Peru was the first country on my RTW and it made for an excellent start. I spent 24 days in the country and visited five major sites (Lima, Trujillo, Huaraz, Cusco and surroundings, Arequipa and surroundings). My average daily budget was US$50, although I definitely splurged during my time in Cusco on some of the nicer restaurants (Uchu is highly recommended!) and did a bit of shopping.
Four Best Memories:
- Laguna 69
- Trying Peruvian delicacies, like aji de gallina and ceviche
- Colca Canyon
- Practicing my Spanish, and even learning a little Quechua!
Four Things to Do Next Time:
- Spend some time at the beach
- Visit the Nazca Lines
- Explore the jungle: Iquitos and Manu National Park
- Do the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu (taking the bus due to a bum ankle didn’t really have much magic!)